Saturday, May 26, 2012

Rilynn Paige Bringhurst


My life has changed forever by my sweet bundle of joy which calls for a new blog. I look forward to documenting all the wonderful moments that shape our lives and seeing where our journey takes us.


Rilynn's Birth Story

At my 39 week appointment we scheduled an induction for Sunday, which was my due date if I didn’t go on my own. Thursday night while I was at work I received a call from Labor and Delivery saying they would like me to come up and be induced that night because they were really slow. I was the manager on duty at work that night and I was still planning on one more day at work. Although it was just a few days before (Sunday) the day I had prepared myself for, I freaked out a little bit. I told the nurse I needed to think about it and I would call her back. I then had a moment that almost included tears or maybe it did. I felt a little uneasy about making a decision like that. It doesn’t seem like the birth of your child is something you should decide. I didn’t feel ready and was very panicky. I concluded that I may feel the same way on Sunday, but it wasn’t worth the panic and I wanted to finish out work so I decided to wait.


I was very glad when Sunday rolled around because Friday and Saturday I felt horrible. My pregnancy was very easy but this last week was hard and especially the last two days my body knew it was time. I spent the weekend just relaxing, cleaning a little and doing my toes. My mom was with me for the delivery and we went into the hospital at 7pm and was greeted by one of the most wonderful nurses Maggie. She made the process a lot of fun because she is hilarious. When I went in I was already having contractions on my own. They were 1-3 minutes apart but not very strong or lasting very long. They started the cervix softeners and then we waited.  My contractions progressively were getting stronger and there was a ton of pressure on my back so there was no sleep to be had. We walked the halls a lot. After the second dose I was starting to get really uncomfortable so I tried the jetted tub, which I never thought I would try but I’m so glad I did. I went in there alone turned the lights off and turned the cool colored lights in the tub on and just relaxed. It really helped my back feel better and take my mind off things. I got out and sat on the ball while my wonderful mom massaged my back. I probably would have died without her she was amazing.

I didn’t think I was progressing very fast because I was gearing up for long labor so I was hesitant to ask about an epidural because I thought they may say “oh honey we are just getting started”. Maggie checked me and said I was at a 4 I was so pumped and she convinced me that it is totally normal for wanting an epidural and I could get in now.  It is a blessing I asked for one when I did because very quickly it went down hill. 30 mins later at 5 am when I was getting the epidural I was in so much pain. Getting the epidural was not a pleasant experience. They had a hard time putting it in and stuck me at least 4 times. Each time it hurt and not just like a needle stick. I had 3 or 4 contractions during that time and was so freaked out about holding still. I was bent over my mom with tears flying everywhere.  The nurses were changing right then and my new nurse Tammy came in and saw what a mess I was. I can imagine she was probably worried about what she was in for. Again I had such a good nurse I loved Tammy she was so sweet and understanding to my situation. After we got the epidural in I was golden. Thank you God for blessing us with this technology. I can’t imagine doing labor without it and loved my labor because of it.

At 8 am my doctor came in to check me. I was only at a 5, which was a little disappointing, but he seemed to be happy with the way things were going. Once they gave me the epidural they started pitocin to get my contractions more regular. He broke my water, which most people say they can feel a change in pressure or something. No, not me I was so numb. I couldn’t tell if my legs were wet, dry, cold, hot, alive or dead, but I was ok with that. They told me to expect to dilate about 1 cm an hour and then an hour of pushing so I was thinking about 1pm we would have the birthday party! After they broke my water they turned the pit off because my contractions were on top of each other. I started to not feel well at all I felt like I was about to loose the nasty turkey sandwich I ate the night before in desperation. They laid me down, gave me oxygen and my nurse was going to bring me chicken broth. When she came back at 9am I asked her when I will know I need to push because it was feeling weird down there. She decided to check me and I was at a 9!!!!!! I think that is the moment I went into shock I couldn’t believe it 4 cm in an hour! She had me push a couple times and said she was going to have the doctor come in. Then a swarm of people came in and started to set everything up. I was in so much disbelief I was prepared to do a lot more labor, but I was so thrilled I would meet my baby in moments that I started to cry. I’m emotional anyways and then the hormones definitely don’t help. The doctor and resident came in and told me most first timers do about an hour of pushing so be prepared. I pushed through 2 or 3 contractions no more than 5 minutes. I could not feel a thing thank goodness, but that meant I didn’t know if I was doing anything or where the baby was. They told me to stop pushing so hard and I thought to myself “what why I just started?” My mom said “Mickenzie open your eyes can you see her?” I looked up and her entire body was almost out. (Oh man this makes me sob just writing this). At 9:25am Rilynn Paige Bringhurst was born. They laid her on my chest and she was perfect! I couldn’t believe I made this tiny human. It all seems a bit of a blur because it all happened so fast but I remember I kept saying “that is my baby” I couldn’t believe it was over and she was here. They took her to the warmer to get some color in her while they stitched me. Again thank goodness for epidurals. I could hear her screaming away and was very antsy to see her again.

Rilynn is a beautiful baby and was from the minute I saw her. She must of come so fast that her head was still perfectly round and her skin was perfect. I cried as I stared into her eyes. It was such a special moment I will never forget. It is the most overwhelming feeling to realize you have been blessed with such a perfect little human. The spirit new babies bring is like no other and I hope I can be worthy to be her momma.  The love I have for her was instant and has continued to grow more than I ever felt possible.

I loved the whole experience and hope I get to do it again. It was the most amazing day of my life. Such a special moment that no one can take away.  It felt like nothing else mattered in the world I had my baby girl and she was mine to keep forever. I was very fortunate to have an easy delivery and thanked God many times for that. I always assume the worst and was pleasantly surprised it was so easy.

I can’t say it was so easy after the drugs wore off but I know that is just what comes with having a baby. I woke up the next morning with a terrible sore throat, which later developed into a full head cold. Unfortunately Rilynn got my cold but I think three weeks later we are both finally better.
I stayed two nights in the hospital and I’m so glad I did. It was nice to have the extra help especially where I didn’t feel well.  Breast-feeding has been going well but we had a few problems at first so I took advantage of the help.

It has been such a joy being Rilynn's mom. I don’t get a lot done because I would always rather just hold her and take in all these precious moments. I’m sure she will be the worlds most photographed baby so be prepared for a photo overload every post.




Right before I started pushing. My mom was mad at me that I was smiling because that isn't what someone about to have a baby should be doing but I seriously felt great

Such an incredible moment as you can see from the ugly cry



Rilynn Paige Bringhurst
April 30, 2012 9:25am
6lbs. 5oz. 19inches


 Getting to meet my sweet baby girl



 Meeting dad for the first time and learning how to suck yuckies out of her mouth

 Meeting Poppy

 Daddy took Rilynn to the nursery to get all cleaned up

Tiny Fingers

Happy to have my baby back in my arms

 All girly from the moment she was born


I never get enough of staring at that precious face

Cici (grandma) snapped this picture while we sleeping together for the first time. Later I was mad because she knows not to take pictures when I have no makeup on but it's just to precious 

AJ made my dad stop at the hospital on the way to school because he just had to see Rilynn again. He is going to be the best Uncle. 


Sleeping with her dad



Rilynn and I were showered with love. Poppy brought us roses and printed this beautiful picture talk about fast service. Grandma Bringhurst, Daddy, my wonderful friends, and work all sent us flowers. Thank you everyone for your thoughtfulness. 

All ready to go home!

I knew the first time I dressed her in this adorable outfit that I was going to love playing dress up

Tiny peanut in her carseat

Meeting Abby for the first time

Abby wasn't so sure and was looking at me like what did you bring home

She is slowly warming up but isn't very fond yet. Little do the two of them know they will be best friends.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic Photos Mickenzie. I am so happy for you, she couldn't be any more perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mickenzie you probably look as beautiful as anyone I have ever seen before, during, or after labor and birth! Your sweet girl is just beautiful and your absolute love for her is do evident from your words and photos. I hope holding her and loving on her is helping to heal some of the hurt your heart has had to endure the last little while. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you started this blog!! you are an amazing person, and I admire you! You are beautiful... and so is your mini me!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete